Friday, March 04, 2005

Parents Television Council - today's fascists?

I was listening to the Bob & Tom show this morning on 96-Rock and they had a piece on censorship of television and radio. Specifically they talked about the overly zealous work by the FCC since the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction and the work of the Parents Television Council. Bob and Tom believe that the current efforts at censorship involves control of content that is fascist like and will ultimately lead to one group of people controlling what we as a society are allowed to see, read, and listen to. They sighted a case where a Buffalo TV station pulled their reading service for the blind because one 89 year old women complained about a single word from a novel read during the overnight hours.

The media says everyone has the ability to turn their TV off and control what their children see, read, and hear. I give you the fact that this is technically true what I don't believe is that enough parents actually care enough to attempt to manage this. And here is where I struggle because while I can setup the V-chip and I do monitor what my children watch, what I cannot do is go 2 houses down and do the same. That child down the block is watching MTV sexually explicit content, watching Sex-in-the-City on TBS, and then playing with my children and showing them all the cool things they have learned. And please don't tell me that what adults and children watch does not affect or influence them. Everything we see, feel, and experience influences us and not all of it for the better.

There has to be a middle ground we can get to that is reasonable in nature for both sides of this. Anything goes no-censorship is no better than the overly zealous efforts today that caused a single blind 89-year old women to impact every blind listener in Buffalo. We can't legislate morality and if we try to we do become Nazi Fascists, at the same time we do need to look for reasonable measures to help parents. I am not sure where the answer is but the direction we are headed in at the moment is not the answer as far as I am concerned.

No comments: