Thursday, December 23, 2004

So what makes a person rich today?

My Mom and I got into an interesting discussion about when people are rich. We were driving through town and I noticed that 4 high class day spa's opened up in town, all of them in facilities larger than most day spa's that I have seen. I commented that there must be plenty of rich folks around to keep that many day spas' running or at least to convince someone to open them in this area. Mom did not care for this comment, rich people do not live around here. Well of course what I meant was people with disposable income available to spend on luxuries like day spa's, not millionaires.

I think my Mom is one of those that truly fails to understand that most households in America have much less income than she realizes. I know that several years ago if your household income was above $75,000 that you were in the top 5% of all wage earners households in America. I work with a gentleman that tends to whine a bit about money and I assure you his household is in the top 10% at least if not the top 5% even today.

For me being rich is about choices once you start to earn in the top 30% of the country. You choose a big house, lots of vacations, boat, fancy cars, home theatre mega rooms, etc. then you have arrived at rich, wealthy, etc and when you don't have money for the 52nd luxury item you want then it is not because you are not rich, it is because of the choices you made.

I do not have all the luxuries I would like but I know that I am among the privileged in this country and would never dare to whine I do not have enough money or suggest that I am to poor to afford something like a day spa for my wife.

No comments: