Friday, April 27, 2007

Microsoft Customer Service has lost a loyal customer

As most of you know I am a pretty big fan of Microsoft and their products. This includes my love for the Xbox 360. Well my loyalty to Microsoft has been shattered by a horrible customer experience. My 3rd Xbox 360 died on the 17th of April with the now famous red ring of death. This was too much, I was really pissed from having two refurb units die on me after only 6 months of use on each. I called the Microsoft support line, went throught the required troubleshooting and then told the guy I wanted them to send me a NEW unit and I would return my unit in the same box. I am tired of the long turn around times to replace the damn thing when people with Best Buy contracts just walk in and swap. I was told they could do this but another department handled that so my case was escalated to this 2nd level department. I was told I would hear back in 24 -48 hours. Forty-Eight hours later I call them again, this time I am told I am scheduled for a call back between 7 and 9 pm that night.

Now who can guess what happened between 7 & 9 pm? uh come on say, NADA, absolutely f*&^%_$# nothing. So I call back which was useless but I did and NOW I am told I will get a call back on the 22nd of April, a Sunday. I do keep trying to get connected to whomever these 2nd level people are but the supervisor just keeps telling me they have no way to cal l them. Of course the truth is if the outsourced partner calls Microsoft then the outsources partner pays a penalty to Microsoft.

Now who can guess what happened on Sunday? You people are all so quick today, your right abolutely no fuc%$^& phone call from anybody at Microsoft.

I decide to go around these people and right to Microsoft directly. This is not an easy task, their contact phone numbers are hidden better than Jimmy Hoffa, but I do find the number and manage to conince the auotomated operator to connect me to a human operator, again no easy trick but I am smaaaaaarrrrter than the average bear. This very nice lady, who speaks perfect American English, explains to me there is not "Customer complaint department" that she can connect me to. Microsoft ONLY takes customer complaints through email. At this point I am wondering and I say this with all respect for the victums but I am wondering if the Virginia Tech murderer was an Xbox 360 owner because my stress level with this situation is now way over the top.

I relent and send an email to the person, I do not wish to name, that the nice lady gave me. The email address appears to just be a dumping box to some customer complaint team. The email address is vpesc@microsoft.com. I was actually contacted within hours of sending that email. I sent the email on April 23rd at 11:40am ET and heard from the person assigned to me by 6pm ET that night.

On the downside this person explained that Microsoft is unable to ship me a new unit first. I even offered to provide a credit card in case I ripped them off but MS is not setup to process things this way. That is sad. On the upside the person said he can in fact replace mine with a new unit fresh off the production line. The unit won't be "retail" since it is not in a retail box but it will be a newly manufactured unit. So now I sit here waiting for the empty box that will arrive next Monday to my house.

From start of this to getting my empty return box will be a total of 13 days, I should have just had them send me an empty box on day 1 :(

At this point I have lost all respect for Microsoft customer service and my loyalty has been shattered which means I will no longer promote them or their products to friends and family.

2 comments:

Grant Brennae said...

I am having the exact same problem as you. Except when I sent my unit in they shipped me back a defective unit with the in infamous "three light problem". And on top of the fact that the so called "refurbished unit" didn't work it was grimy and smelt of the previous owners home, which was disgusting. So I am sending it back now, and like yourself I called numerous numbers looking for the consumer relations department. I was given the same email vpesc@microsoft.com and was told to direct my claim there. So I did that also requesting a NEW replacement unit. Lets see if it ever comes.

Unknown said...

Forget that. You guys are lucky. I opened a case in August, its now January and I am still waiting for a DRM update to my arcade games. I can't play them. lol. I sent an email to that same email address, after taking to a native english speaker as well. So now I am waiting. We shall see.