Thursday, February 03, 2005

Is there any such thing as full-time work anymore?

I really enjoy my blog, but as you can see I have not had enough time to post lately. Besides having a family I also attend the Univerity of Phoenix Online as a full-time student as well as work. Between the three, time is very tight to say the least.

Speaking of work, my job has been a full-time AND a half job for what seems like years. Gone are the days of clocking in at 8 AM and going home at 5 PM with no worries. Now, I think a great deal about work while driving to the office instead of enjoying the drive (yes it is possible to enjoy a drive to work), eat lunch at my desk while taking another meeting, dial-in to conference calls from my cell phone on the drive home (almost never on time), and after getting home review some print outs and work on all of the stuff I couldn't do because I was scheduled in meetings all day. While my annual compensation is certainly good by the standards of the average household in America, on a per hour basis I could make almost as much working as a barista at Starbucks. All of which would not be so bad if I enjoyed my work more, to be more accurate if I worked in a better environment. Currently my company is trying to cut its way to profitability and trying to get them to invest where we need to for our customers is like pulling teeth from a Sarlaac. NOTE: The company is investing in some things but only those things that show an ROI within a very short time frame.

Well enough whining from me about work. On the school front things are going very well. After 16 classes I currenly have a 3.98GPA and my current class on marketing ends next Wednesday, hoorah. For those who do not know marketing actually does run the world. Ever hear about the conspiracy folks who think the world is secretly run by 5 wealthy familes, WRONG! it is run by marketing folks that have power over everything everywhere. I can only hope I have not angered the all powerful marketing folks by revealing this little known fact. My professor has told me "You have a very good marketing mind" so perhaps someday I will be taken into the marketing fold and turned to the dark side (haha). (insert breathing effect.......I am your father Steven.....insert breathing effect). LOL!

No comments: